Monday, August 20, 2007

Monday August 20, 2007

B: I'd bought the edamame last, last saturday. It's starting to dry out and yellow, so I need to eat it quickly.

Edamame

L: Today is the day of unplanned eating, apparently. (I didn't know what I would be eating until mealtime rolled around.) I settled on:

Edamame

7 chicken and leek dumplings w. soy sauce


F: 1 apple


D: Ugh. I think this failure of a meal might force me to become a vegetarian. Or, at least, in addition to swearing off pork, I think I just might swear off chicken, too. Yes, it was THAT BAD.

I had this packet of seasoning called "Amazing Taste! for poultry," or something like that. I decided to use it as a marinade (add 1/3 cup of water + 3 tbspns olive oil, so said the directions) and then broil/bake the chicken drumsticks.

I should mention the chicken had been the source of the unpleasant smell of late coming from my minifridge. I'd previously thought it was the shrimp, because they were in the same bag. However, it was the chicken. I don't know if it's the chicken blood/other juices, or the chicken itself spoiling(?!), but I passed it off as just what meat smells like.

I thawed it with hot water, washed it with cold water, and it seemed the smell wasn't as apparent anymore. I figured the smell was just when it was raw and in the bag with all the excess juices, so I went ahead to make my meal.

I cut up onion and green bell pepper to drizzle on top of the chicken drumsticks.

I baked at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 45 minutes. The juices did not run clear, so I sent it back in for another 15 minutes. After an hour in the oven, they were ready...

...ready for the garbage can. After eating a little bit, I couldn't get over the smell that the chicken still gave off, despite being marinated and everything. Plus, the "Amazing Taste!" packet was FAR from amazing.

I still have two chicken drumsticks left in the freezer, but I think I'll have to dispose of them.

A note: I did bring the chicken from home, so maybe it was the combination of the non-frozen transport time and the date when they were first purchased that caused this whole fiasco. I will most definitely be more careful when buying meat on my own from the supermarket. I might abstain from chicken for a while though. *wince

Rice w.
~1 chicken drumstick, marinated (story above)
Dried fish meat

1 comment:

Sarah said...

put meat in freezer. and i dont think u should thaw it under hot water. not sure about the thawing